Students help with charity event to fight hunger through their art

By Rosemary Boeglin

Empty Bowls, an annual charity event to combat hunger, will take place Oct. 16 from 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. in the Ben Davis cafeteria and commons.

This event coincides with World Food Day in an effort to spread awareness and make strides to fight against food depravation in America and around the world.

Jennifer Davis, art department chair, said that each year, MIC schools are asked to participate in this event, with proceeds going to a local charity.

“We try to get the kids to do it,” said Davis, “We ask (students) in the spring to make one bowl that they won’t keep, but will instead donate to this cause.”

Art Club, sponsored by Linda Lutes and Katharine Ristow, has taken much responsibility and participation of the project, according to Davis.

“Art Club has taken this under their wing. They stay after school to finish making the bowls that we still need and then they also spend a couple nights after school glazing all of the bowls,” Davis said.

Ann Nwosu, art student and junior, said that she plans on attending the event.

“I don’t take ceramics, because I’m more of a drawing person. But, I do have a lot of friends who take the class and I also know people in art club who are donating their work.”

Nwosu said that she thinks any chance to combine charity with something you enjoy doing it is worthwhile.

“There are not that many opportunities to help other people out while doing something you love. Even (though) I didn’t make any of the bowls, I still plan to go and buy one of my friend’s bowls,” she said.

Each person picks their own bowl, which they get to take home. They must pay $6 for the bowl and then they get to enjoy a soup or chili dinner, according to Davis.

Davis said, “The goal is trying to remind people that there is always an empty bowl out there somewhere in the world and we’re doing our best to combat that.”

By The Numbers

Each school must make 200 ceramic bowls.

Schools around America have participated in Empty Bowls since 1990.

World Food Day has been celebrated for 28 years.

Over 15 schools are participating in Empty Bowls.

Students pay $6 per ceramic bowl.