New USDA regulations lead to changes in lunch menu items

COMPILED BY LIANNE YU AND AINING WANG KARTHIK THADASINA, KYLE CRAWFORD / PHOTOS

CHS students may have noticed that there has been a wide range of changes in the lunch menu items this school year. Whether it is the change in taste, size, or nutritional value, these alterations are due to the new U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) regulations that the school cafeterias must follow.

According to the CHS website, changes in nutritional value were anticipated five years ago and finally enforced this school year. The new regulations eliminate all fried foods, foods with added salts or trans fat and desserts.

Cafeteria supervisor Holly Hull said, “They are the new USDA regulations; it’s not just something we came up with for Carmel High School. They’re government regulations that we have to follow. That’s why we’ve gone to finding snacks that are whole grain. That’s what forced us to give up a lot of the favorites that we had from last year and find substitutes for this year.”

According to Hull, the biggest change this year will be in the a la carte items and snack foods. She said she agrees with the changes that make the menu healthier. “Some of the other snacks are good,” Hull said. “I think that they’re just a change, and the kids haven’t had a chance to taste them yet. I think once they do, they’ll like them.”

Students are now required to get a fruit and/or vegetable in order to buy a full meal.

“A lot of kids don’t buy a full lunch, so that’s something I’d like to get the word out to, to encourage students to get a full lunch,” Hull said. “It’s more cost effective for them.”

COMPILED BY LIANNE YU AND AINING WANG
KARTHIK THADASINA, KYLE CRAWFORD / PHOTOS