Certificate program provides IB option for those who choose not to pursue diploma

By: Sarah Sheafer <[email protected]>

Senior Megan Marshall said that the IB Diploma Program wasn’t right for her, but that didn’t stop her from taking an IB class or even aiming to gain a certificate for it, so she enrolled in an IB history class last year and has continued that class this year. And even though she will not receive an IB diploma, she’ll still be rewarded for taking that particular class. Toward the end of the class she can be tested and be eligible to receive a certificate acknowledging that she took an IB course.

According to Kerry Hoffman, IB coordinator and administrative assistant for curriculum, taking individual classes within the IB program, as Marshall has done, may be a valid option for some students as they look toward scheduling for next year.

“The classes are a nice challenge and a chance to get college credit,” she said. “It also shows that you are capable of very high demanding work. Colleges might favor this.”

According to Hoffman, even if students opt not to take the entire IB course load, there are still advantages to gaining a certificate
Marshall said that the main reason why she’s in an IB class is not because of the certificate but that it is a bonus.

“I think it will be really valuable when applying for colleges,” she said. “And for students who may not be as interested or as strong in all of their subject areas, it allows them to pick a subject they are interested in and go deeper into that curriculum.”

But even one IB class may be too much for some students. Carolyn Mohr, who teaches IB Spanish IV and V, said, “I think the classes are not going to appeal to everyone. The amount of work required might cause a problem for some students.”

Since the program and classes are still new to students here, not as many have joined them as Hoffman said she would like. She said though that it’s probably going to take a couple of years to getting used to. She said, “I think as people learn about it, and as it gets tweaked out, we’ll have a lot more students taking IB classes.”

Marshall also said that the program could work on a few kinks, but that overall it’s a great program. “I would highly recommend it to anyone who is willing to take on a little extra work,” she said.

“IB classes are similar to AP, but the greatest part about IB is how it encourages discussion and a truly deep understanding of subject areas. Also, taking the initiative to take difficult courses in areas of interest will pay off in college applications.”