Jazz Ensembles to showcase at upcoming performance Jazz Expressions

Kyle Crawford

On march 22, at 7 p.m. in the auditorium, the four CHS Jazz Ensembles will have their first concert of the year, Jazz Expressions, to showcase music they have been working on since before winter break. The CHS Jazz program will not be attending any competitions this year, instead focusing on refining pieces for performances at home. Without competitions to focus on, the various bands will be able to focus on smaller details as a professional. This year at the Jazz Expressions concert, Rob Dixon, a professional jazz saxophonist who has toured the world and recently been inducted into the Jazz Hall of Fame, has been invited as the guest performer. Dixon will work with each of the ensembles and will be featured in a solo in each of the songs performed that night.

According to Jazz III director Andy Cook, all four bands will cover all kinds of different styles of jazz. In addition to Dixon, there will be a student ad lib soloist featured for each ensemble.

“They’re pretty standard, big band pieces. I’m doing one sort of Gospel shuffle and some variations,” Cook said. “We’ve been rehearsing since before the break, so just to get out and perform for people and have them hear how far we’ve come is what I’m looking forward to the most.”

Cook said the various bands have been progressing nicely throughout the year, in preparation for the upcoming concert as well as future ones. According to Cook, Jazz III and IV are a bit larger than a traditional jazz ensemble, but students are willing to play and there are no cuts. He also said audience members should look forward to the progression of skill in the bands as well as the soloists.

“The older they get, the more comfortable they get with it, so that’s kind of a neat progression,” Cook said.Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 12.45.24 PM

Hanna Winston, Jazz I trumpet player and senior, will be performing in her fourth and final Jazz Expressions concert this year. Jazz I will be performing a variety of jazz styles, from slow ballads to fast, uptempo pieces. Having experienced each jazz ensemble through high school and making her way to Jazz I, Winston said although she will miss the close friendships she has formed with other jazz band members, she still looks forward to the performing on the concert.

“My favorite part in jazz band has always been the end result of all the hours we put in and finally feeling comfortable enough to have fun with the piece,” Winston said.

Duncan McConnell, Jazz I bassist and senior, will perform his first Jazz concert of the year, as well as last for his high school experience. As the bass player for Jazz I, McConnell said he enjoys his part of the ensemble because it is crucial for keeping the time for the band.

“In my mind, jazz band over the years hasn’t changed all that much. Of course we bring in new players every year as seniors graduate and such but as a program it’s very reliable. The experience of being part of jazz band has been quite an amazing one,” McConnell said. In regards to the concert pieces, McConnell said each year varies in what selections the bands perform.

“We have some old standard jazz tunes but we also are playing some more rock-pop tunes that have been arranged for band. We like to mix it up, and manage to play all styles and tempos from the slow ballad we’ll play to the really fast uptempo piece we’re still working on keeping up in,” McConnell said.

Winston also believes the bands are well prepared for the concert, although, as an ensemble, they are never quite perfect and there is always something to work and improve on. As seniors, both Winston and McConnell agree that through the years, the jazz program has not only created great music, but friendships as well.

McConnell said, “While also bringing us together, (jazz is) something that has taught everyone involved, myself included, new things that we can take with us whenever we play our instruments.”