Athletics, clubs require updated code of conduct

By Natalie Maier

What
At the beginning of this school year, administrators added a new anti-hazing and bullying clause to the Code of Conduct forms, which are required for all students involved in the athletics, performing arts and co-curricular clubs and activities of this school.

Why
Last year’s alleged hazing incident involving the varsity men’s basketball team has made a lasting effect for all students this year. Athletics Director Jim Inskeep said, “We felt many obvious changes coming off of last year’s school year. We wanted to add the clause to the forms for clubs, athletics and the performing arts. Now the school has a unified code to follow for hazing for the athletics, clubs and performing arts. This won’t prevent problems in and of itself. It’s up to the leaders to do that.”

Students’ Reactions
Despite the changes, according to Jacob Smith, president of the National Honor Society and senior, the anti-hazing clause seems redundant. Smith said, “I think the same principles were already in place in the existing Code of Conducts.”

Teachers’ Reactions
“It puts into words a policy that most of the teams and clubs already have had,” Key Club co-sponsor Katie Gray said. “It is good to have it written out so the students and participants have a better understanding and are more aware.”

What’s Different
There were no actual changes made to the anti-hazing policy at this school, but the policy was added to the forms.

The school district stressed a stricter approach against hazing and bullying in all activities. “More than anything, we want our groups to understand that this is an issue for everyone, not just athletics. This is throughout the school,” Inskeep said. “The students have to make good choices.”

The altered Code of Conduct forms resulted from a collaboration of the Carmel Clay Public Schools and CHS administrators. Middle schools and elementary schools throughout the district will also apply the changes to the forms for their different activities and athletics.