Home, Sweet Home?

While recent studies point to Hamilton County’s quality, some question whether the grass is really greener here

By Shireen Korkzan

Senior Mary Hon found huge differences between this school and Normal Community West High School when she first moved to Hamilton Country at the beginning of her junior year. For one thing, the environment is totally different.

“As much as I loved my old area, (Hamilton County) seems to be a lot more safe and well-kept,” Hon said. “It’s like communities here are a lot more involved. It’s a huge difference. When people found out I was new here they asked if I needed help or anything.”

And it’s not surprising that someone like Hon, who lived in Bloomington, IL, in McLean County, would speak in high approval of her new place of residence. Recently, Forbes.com rated Hamilton County, IN, as the number-one county in the United States to raise a family, with Noblesville being the best city overall. Carmel Mayor Jim Brainard said he finds this accolade an honor.

“(These ratings) are somewhat subjective and you can change criteria and the results will change,” Brainard, who has lived in Hamilton County for 20 years, said. “However, people are very fortunate to live here. Everyone’s looking to raise families in a high quality of life.”

And for students like Hon, much of what Forbes.com claimed about Hamilton County is accurate.

On the other hand, not everyone agrees with the positive assessments of Brainard and Hon. Senior Brogan Eppley, who has lived in Carmel all her life, said she would never raise a family in this area.

“It’s a utopia here, like a giant bubble,” Eppley said. “People here are ignorant and closed-minded. They’re bred and accustomed to a system. There’s a pecking order and you will follow it. There’s hardly any economic failure and that’s not how it is anywhere else. I don’t think this is a very cool example of what living really is. I would want my children to see all aspects of the world.”

Eppley said that people here need to learn about crime and theft, which are rare occurrences in Hamilton County. She suggested raising children somewhere else and then moving to an area such as Hamilton County for high school because “if someone grew up in a different place then they would have a more open mindset.”

Brainard said that Eppley makes some valid points, but added that people don’t have to live in a crime and poverty-infested area to know that such a life exists. And with over 100 volunteer and internship opportunities available in Hamilton County, the opportunities to obtain such knowledge are nearly endless, he said. Brainard also suggested that the best ways to not be ignorant of other styles of living are to travel and for parents to inform their children.

“I think it is important for young people to travel to see how things work and don’t work,” Brainard said. “Families and kids need to realize that not everyone lives like this. Sometimes you don’t even see that here. It’s also the parents’ job to make sure that students understand that there are a variety of places to live in. You can get exposure without living that way.”

But there is always room for improvement. In the Forbes.com article, Hamilton County received first-place ratings in nine out of 10 categories, excluding the category of air quality. Brainard said that the city government is making an effort to alleviate these environmental issues.

Such efforts include the 50 roundabouts that have been built in Carmel. Because of these nonelectric-dependent circles, this city now saves 24,000 gallons of gas per year per roundabout, according to a recent article in Time Magazine; however, the EPA still cites Hamilton County for having such coal and sulfur dependency, causing small particle discharges in the air. Various organizations throughout the county, such as City Centre Project, are trying to reduce this problem as well.

“We need to work with other energy besides coal,” Brainard said. “Even as a state we need to use electricity in a better way. That’s why (this city is) working on roundabouts.”

But even Eppley said that she cannot deny that the facilities that determined Hamilton County’s high ranking are deserving of high praise, including the Carmel Clay Public Library and over 800 acres of land for recreational parks. When Brainard first became mayor 13 years ago, there were only 40 acres of park. Also, “as land has been converted from farming to houses, tree cover has increased over 50 percent since this city was mostly farmland.” More trees have started growing since post-farmland development because of farmers clean-cropping them for land because “where people build houses trees come back,” he said. Much has changed in such little time, but no one is taking a break yet. It’s the massive amount of parks and the library that Eppley said she is truly grateful for, if nothing else.

“The Carmel Clay Public Library and parks here are really good and I’m grateful for that,” Eppley said. “They’re key sellers to Carmel and the schools here are amazing. Because of the education I received I know how to speak well.”

Hon said that she would prefer living in the county when she’s ready to settle with a family but will go wherever her future job takes her. However, Hamilton County isn’t off of her list of prospective places to raise her family. “It’s not out of the realm,” she said.