Students should take initiative to dress appropriately, especially in winter

By HiLite Staff

As the fashion industry becomes geared more toward teenagers, the way students look has never been more important to them. From trying out the latest trends to reading fashion magazines and seeing what the celebrities are wearing this season, the way students dress is not only done to impress others, but also to express individual style.

Despite the trends, students should remember to take the initiative to dress appropriately and remain aware of the impression their clothing makes on those around them. As the winter season is approaching, dressing in a way that is classy and fitting for both the weather and school is something that all students, regardless of gender, should consider.

Issues regarding students’ wardrobes are not new. The way students dress has always been something over which administrators, teachers and students have debated. Questions about where to draw the line between student expression and being inappropriate has come up numerous times, resulting in several changes in the dress code policy and its enforcement over the years.

But policies shouldn’t be the driving factor of dress code. Rather, students should be the ones to take on the responsibility of dressing in a way that is suitable for school and be aware of how their clothing impacts other people’s views about them.

From a practical standpoint, the weather outside is getting much colder, and students should realize the need for warmer clothes. Despite the fact that the temperature inside the school is the same, students should dress for what the weather is outside.

Summer clothing, such as shorts and mini-skirts, are not appropriate for 40 or 50 degree weather. By dressing in summer clothes for the winter, students not only look ridiculous, but they also put themselves in danger of getting sick or getting frostbite. As a general rule, students should always assume the school will be cool in the winter and dress in ways that will keep them warm and comfortable.

Second, and perhaps more importantly, clothing that is distasteful can have a negative effect on students’ peers and teachers. The first impression someone makes when he meets someone new is the way he looks and carries himself. By dressing inappropriately, students send a negative image to everyone around them.

Not only do other students’ look at those students differently, but teachers lose respect for those students as well. By dressing in a way that is classy and respectable, students show others that they respect themselves, which in turn guarantees they will receive respect from their peers.

Furthermore, when teachers see a violation of the dress code, they are put in an uncomfortable position, as they don’t want to embarrass students by sending them to the dean’s office, but they are required to enforce the dress code. By following guidelines and dressing appropriately, students will save themselves from unnecessary confrontations with their teacher, and salvage relationships with those around them.

Finally, in addition to keeping warm in the winter months and making a good impression on those around them, students should take the initiative to dress appropriately because above everything else, school is here to provide them with an education.

School is not a fashion show. School is practice for college and beyond, not just academically, but socially as well. Overall, students should remember the main objective at school is to prepare for life after high school.

Students should treat wardrobes as another responsibility that they must fulfill. Dressing well will not only keep students comfortable in the winter months, but also can create a better impression on other people, especially teachers. While looking good and dressing fashionably is important to many, students should remember to dress in a way that is appropriate and classy.