Carmel Idol returns for the second

By: Sherry Lu <[email protected]>

After the tremendous success that Student Venture had with Carmel Idol last year, Student Venture sponsor Brian Clark hopes to have a repeat of that success this year. “We are expecting over 1000 people to come this year,” he said.

Carmel Idol, the CHS version of American Idol, will take place on Feb. 29 in the CHS auditorium. Auditions were held for the last three days and ten finalists will be chosen to perform at Carmel Idol.

According to senior James Ma, a member of Student Venture and its Student Action Leadership Team (SALT), the first place winner, which will be determined by popular vote, will receive $1000. This person will be able to keep $500 and then give $500 to a charity of his choice.

Ambassador and senior Omar Bari was one of the ten finalists last year and plans on auditioning again this year. He said, “It was an amazing experience last year, and I want one more shot at winning this competition before graduation.”

According to Bari, Carmel Idol was a great opportunity to hear a wide variety of voices. “There was so much talent. It was astonishing that most of the kids had no training,” he said.

Student Venture will also host a broomballing game at the Carmel Ice Skadium tonight. According to Clark, the concept of broomballing is similar to hockey, but players use brooms wrapped in duct tape instead of hockey sticks.

Student Venture will also continue normal meetings on Tuesday mornings at 7:05 in the freshman cafeteria.