Students, take precautions to prevent spread of germs

ALEX MACKALL / ART
ALEX MACKALL / ART

By HiLite Staff

As the weather gets colder, many students are used to getting their usual head colds or maybe even the flu. But with the recent media coverage surrounding the H1N1 virus, those head colds and flu symptoms have taken on new significance. The media have certainly done its share of giving the H1N1 virus prominence. Still, whether or not the virus has been overhyped in the media, it’s important for students to understand that the H1N1 virus is serious.

According to CNN.com, from Aug. 30 to Sept. 26, 1,379 deaths were associated with the H1N1 virus nationwide. The Center for Disease Control (CDC) send out reports that as of Oct. 3, H1N1 activity is surpassing expectations. To avoid catching the virus, it’s important for students to take the proper precautions.

In the past, many students have opted to come to school, even if they were not feeling well so they didn’t ruin their chances in the Skip-a-Final program or to avoid make-up work. However, this year especially, it’s important for students to stay home if they’re sick or getting sick.

If one person comes to school sick, dozens more could be infected by the end of the day. And don’t think if there’s no fever, there’s no need to stay home; according to the CDC, not everyone with the flu will have a fever.

Also, if a student is just getting over being sick, it may be a good idea to rest up for the next couple of days.

Again, according to the CDC, people infected with the seasonal flu and the H1N1 virus may be able to infect others starting one day before getting sick, until five to seven days after. Besides, if students are sick in class, they won’t be able to focus like they usually can, so they won’t absorb much information, anyway. It’s better for sick students to stay home, get better and seek the teacher for help catching up once they’re feeling better.

Additionally, for all students, sick of not, it’s very important to keep washing your hands. As obvious as this may seem, the CDC still says it’s the number-one prevention technique, along with keeping your hands away from your eyes, nose and mouth; after all, any surface in the school could be covered with dangerous germs. Be sure to lather up well, too; the CDC said washing for less than 15 to 20 seconds doesn’t kill nearly enough of the germs found on hands.

That being said, when a sink isn’t available, a good substitute for washing up is a pocket-sized hand sanitizer. Make sure that it has at least 60 percent alcohol, or else it doesn’t do a valid job of killing germs, according to the CDC.

The most effective way to avoid getting the H1N1 virus is getting vaccinated. According to a CNN.com/Opinion Corp. poll in late August, two-thirds of Americans said they plan to get the H1N1 vaccination. CHS students will only need one dose (children 9 and under will need two).

According to CNN.com, the 2009 H1N1 Vaccine Task Force has promised there will be a vaccine for anyone who wants it. Vaccine makers will still produce 10 million to 20 million doses per week over the next couple of months and an ample supply of the injectable form was scheduled to be available by mid-October.

While there are many rumors regarding H1N1 and precautions against it, most of these are confusing or wrong. The best advice for students is to keep it simple: stay home if you are not feeling well, wash up well and get vaccinated. Using all three of these will help tremendously against H1N1 and keep this school functioning at its best.