Administration changes

By: Michael Wang <[email protected]>

Starting on July 1, several administrative changes will occur here because Assistant Principals John Abell and Bob Grenda are retiring. According to Assistant Principal Kathy Luessow, there are eight assistant principals currently. John Abell, John Newton, Ronda Eshleman and Luessow are 12-month assistant principals while Bob Grenda, Amy Skeens-Benton, Doug Bird and Kerry Hoffman are 10-month assistant principals.

Luessow said, “The way it is set up, each of the four 12-month assistant principals (has) a 10-month assistant principal working with them.”

Under the current system, according to Luessow, she works with Grenda, Newton works with Skeens-Benton, Eshleman works with Hoffman and Abell works with Bird. Next year, though, as a result of Abell and Grenda’s retirements, Luessow will move to Abell’s position and Skeens-Benton will transition to Luessow’s position. These moves, however, still leave two vacancies for two 10-month assistant principal positions. One of those positions is already filled by newly-hired Kevin Gallman, and the other position was scheduled to be announced at Monday’s school board meeting, which occurred after press deadline.

According to Skeens-Benton, she, Luessow and the two new administrators were chosen through a process of resumes, applications and interviews. She said that the candidates first went to four separate groups which interviewed them. Then, if they were selected, Principal John Williams interviewed them. After that, they went over to the central office where the central office staff interviewed them and forwarded their names on for school board approval.

As a result of the administrative changes, Luessow will now be in charge of buildings and grounds, which is anything that has to do with the facility, and also scheduling, a job she currently does. Eshleman and Hoffman will still be in charge of the school’s curriculum, and Newton will still be in charge of student services. Next year, Skeens-Benton will be in charge of anything related with the Freshman Center as well as keeping her current job working with student activities, and Bird will still be in charge of attendance.

Because there will be a number of administrative changes, there will also be room changes to accomodate. According to Luessow, Skeens-Benton will move into Luessow’s office, Luessow will move into Hoffman’s office and Hoffman will then move into Abell’s office.

As a result of these changes, Skeens-Benton said the incoming freshmen will be more connected to this school.

She said, “I think (by) tying in freshman activities with the Freshman Center, we will hopefully get a lot more freshmen involved and connected with (this school), and that is a big goal and just to make the transition and connection to (this school) even better.

Sophomore Shataakshi Dube said, “I think that all our administrators would be good no matter what position they take, and I am sure that the school has thought a lot about the decisions that they are making. So I think the administration will be in good hands, and it will be an overall positive change for the school. So overall I don’t think we will really notice the change if the transition is smooth.”

Luessow said, “There will be some shifting around. I bet it will take a little while for (the administrators) to get accustomed because it is a lot. I love what I do. I really do love my job, (and) it has been a great opportunity for me.”

View Comments (1)
$20
$500

• G

GluckinnonuroMar 5, 2010 at 6:51 am

The action taken to local and national disasters is noble but it’s a damn shame that so many people take advantage of the negative situations.

I mean everytime there is an earthquake, a flood, an oil spill – there’s always a group of heartless people who rip off tax payers.

This is in response to reading that 4 of Oprah Winfreys “angels” got busted ripping off the system. Shame on them!
    http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/08/19/crimesider/entry5251471.shtml

Reply