School grieves loss of teacher, marks third death this year

By: Jaclyn Chen <[email protected]>

Despite her few years here, Gina Coleman, American Sign Language (ASL) teacher, is well-remembered and well-loved, according to Avery Hollenback, ASL student and junior.

“She always made class fun and energetic,” she said. “It was just easy to learn from her.”

Coleman, who started teaching ASL two years ago, died on April 6 in a motorcycle accident, marking the third death from here this school year. Freshman Shaail Abbas and sophomore Michael Schenkel died in motor accidents in December and February, respectively.
Principal John Williams said, “We celebrate a lot as a school, but we grieve together as a school as well. It’s everyone’s responsibility to help each other get through the grieving process.”

Counselors were available during spring break and in the ASL classes the week students returned.

“It was really weird for (Coleman) not to be there,” Hollenback said. “And it just wasn’t the same without her.”

Hollenback, who started taking ASL classes this year, said that though she had always been interested in pursuing a career in special education, Coleman introduced her to the deaf community and opportunities to further her interest in ASL. Coleman, who was deaf, taught the class through animation and energy, Hollenback said.

Williams said he recalls a teacher truly passionate about her subject.

“She was great at not only teaching ASL but connecting her kids to the deaf culture,” Williams said. “She had a tremendous connection with the kids in the program, and her presence will be truly missed.”