Stay focused on school during the last few weeks

By HiLite Staff

In a world where a cell phone is one of the most constant companions and fingers log into Facebook without conscious thought from the brain and watching TV is almost a necessary nightly fix, it is safe to say that an addiction to different forms of technology is not only possible, but common.

While an addiction to social networking sites, texting, television or other forms of technology does not usually reap the same harmful results as many other addictions, it can prove problematic during the final weeks of school. As the countdown until summer dwindles into the single digits, tests, projects, AP exams and class finals pile up. This time can be especially key as finals count for one seventh of the semester grade. They can be the difference from a wishy-washy A- and the coveted A.

With all this work to do and tests to study for, each moment is precious, and the habitual jump on Facebook, continuous texting conversations and blaring TVs can disrupt and quickly eat away at valuable work time. An addiction to technology is even worse in those notorious procrastinators who may find even they cut it too close for comfort because of the distraction.

The TV show schedule doesn’t help the study situation either, with new episodes of many popular (maybe even addictive as well) TV shows such as, “Glee,” “The Office,” “Community,” “Modern Family,” and “The Hills,” being released weekly. There goes another valuable hour long chunk of study time.

Of course, there is always the old “I can stop whenever I want” defense when it comes to an addiction. But even with deadlines and test days looming and the pressure to get to work building, some find they just cannot resist the allure of Facebook or a favorite television show even if they want to. But attempting to just quit a favorite electronic cold turkey for the sake of the final crunch of school is not necessarily the way to go.

In order to get through the final weeks of school, filled with a seemingly endless amount of work, students need to identify exactly what is distracting them and utilize whatever strategy it takes to eliminate the source.

If a social networking site is a student’s vice, instead of sitting down to study with a vow not to check the site (and still sneaking peeks) they should try asking a trusted friend or parent to change the password and only give it back when the student is done working.

Or if that doesn’t seem to do the trick, a student could go even more extreme and deactivate their account until exams are over. Facebook allows users to deactivate their accounts for a brief time and then come back so the deactivation it is not permanent.

If it is texting that has a student distracted, they could try asking a friend hide their cell phone or leave it in their locker at the end of the day. Then there will be no way to can get to it. And finally, if it is TV, students can utilize www.hulu.com, a website that allows users to watch a variety of popular shows online for free, or a recording device and watch shows at a later, less hectic, date.

It does not matter how a student chooses to address their technology addiction as long as they do. Especially as this school nears final exam dates with many high stake tests the important thing is devoting a sufficient amount of time to the school work that needs to get done. Get through these last few days and then you can blissfully lapse right back into your addiction all summer.