New staff members hope to improve school’s security

By Shayan Ahmad
<[email protected]>

After every period of his Advanced Physical Conditioning class, junior Samuel Curts goes to the locker rooms to change. This year, though, the locker rooms have a new addition: Instructional Assistants (IAs) who monitor the rooms.

“At first I was a little confused,” Curts said. “I didn’t think it was really that necessary. After time, though, I started to understand.”

In response to the hazing and bullying incident that occurred last year with the men’s basketball team, this school added four IAs, two of whom are based in the locker rooms. The other two monitor the school hallways throughout the day. According to Assistant

Principal John Newton, administrators added the IA position to create a more secure environment for students. “Supervision is what we have decided to concentrate on (this year),” he said. “We felt like we wanted to be out more to see what students are doing and to prevent any forms of bullying.”

One of the IAs is Andy Cherolis, a recent CHS graduate. He said, “(Our job) is to increase supervision in the hallways and to take that pressure off of teachers.” Cherolis said he is also tasked with checking the passes of students to make sure that they aren’t roaming the halls unauthorized. Completing these tasks, Cherolis said, will eliminate student loitering and make the school more efficient.

Curts said he finds the addition of the IAs to be a good decision, recognizing the positive changes they bring to the school.

“It’s kind of comforting to know that nothing bad is going to happen now,” he said. “Now I know that none of my stuff will get stolen or anything like that.”

Along with the addition of the IAs, the administration has also required teachers to better supervise the hallways during passing periods and after school.

“We’re asking teachers to make a conscious effort to stand outside their doors in passing periods,” Newton said. He said this will eliminate any possibilities for student misconduct among the hallways.

Cherolis said the goal of the new IAs is not to punish students; rather, it’s simply to increase the organization and effectiveness of the school.

“(The IA position) is not about getting everybody in trouble. It’s about making sure they (students) stay efficient,” Cherolis said. “You see a lot of kids just moseying around, which isn’t really helping anyone.”
Curts also said these changes will benefit the school and its students in the long run. “I can see why people wouldn’t get (the change) when they hear it the first time,” he said. “I didn’t either. If you think about it more, though, I think you’ll understand why it was necessary and why it will help.”

ON THE JOB: Instructional Assistant Andy Cherolis monitors the halls during a passing period. Cherolis said his role is designed to take pressure off teachers by checking student passes and making sure students don’t engage in misconduct while in the halls. LIZZY GRUBBS / PHOTO