Athletes consider college athletics

Athletics Director Jim Inskeep lists the opportunities athletes at CHS have. PHOTO / LIZZY GRUBBS

By Charlie Browning

According to Athletics Director Jim Inskeep, a student’s sophomore year is very important in setting up his or her future. It is important academically because, along with keeping his or her grades up, the student will have to schedule classes for their junior year. Inskeep said that this scheduling process is very important in making sure the student is on the right track to be eligible for his or her intended school and that he or she have the correct number of credits to get in to his or her school of choice.

Two Types of Athletes

Athletically, Inskeep said students have two different approaches to pursuing a collegiate athletic career. The first is an athlete who is very talented in his or her sport and stands out from other athletes. As a result, he or she attracts the attention of college coaches immediately. This student has little trouble drumming up interest from colleges, but instead just has to choose which college he or she believes will be in his or her best interest.

The second type of athlete is the one who plays varsity athletics but does not necessarily easily stand out from everyone else. This athlete will likely receive questionnaires in the mail or via e-mail from college coaches. Inskeep said he strongly advises an athlete to fill these forms out, regardless of whether or not he or she is interested in the specific school that is contacting him or her. If nothing else, Inskeep said, filling out the questionnaires will put the student on the map and get them ‘in the system.’ “

Whose responsibility?

Inskeep said the student and his or her family are responsible for college. He said it is the student’s responsibility to pursue whatever he or she is looking for in a college education. A student’s high school coaches will do as much as they can to help facilitate communication between a student and college coaching staffs, but in the end it is the student’s responsibility to figure out what college best suits him or her.

Carmel supplies opportunity

“As a varsity athlete at Carmel High School, there is a place for you to play at the collegiate level somewhere,” Inskeep said. “Playing in the MIC and being in Central Indiana gives student-athletes a good amount of exposure to college coaches.” Inskeep said he is pleased with the role that CHS plays in giving its athletes the proper amount of exposure, but that there is always room for improvement.