Please don’t abuse our eyes. Public displays of affection should be kept private.

w.wolffcolphoto

recently had the unfortunate experience of leaving the school and witnessing two students, lying down one on top of each other. While they at least had their clothes on, it seemed somewhat strange to me that two students were being intimate in such a public setting, especially considering they were in the front glass vestibule. However, what surprised me most was how shocked they were to see my friends and I walk by to leave, which is the sole purpose of the vestibule. My friends’ conversation died out and the couple whipped their heads around as if caught in the act. None of us knew what to say and tried to avoid eye contact. Moral of the story: save your public displays of affection (PDA) for private. No one else wants to see it.

However, that is not to say a couple cannot show their affection for one another without going overboard. As I’ve been in a relationship (shocking, I know), I understand the desire to spend time with your significant other. Both of you want to show that you care and value one another. But let’s be honest, for a new couple, it’s also a way to show off and claim that person as your own. The relationship is still full of excitement and anticipation and you will want to portray that in your actions. Holding each other’s hand, hugging, or even a sweet peck on the cheek are actually quite cute and perfectly acceptable. But when couples go a bit further, they don’t understand how it becomes very uncomfortable for anyone and everyone around them.  People witnessing this don’t know how to react or where to look in a way that doesn’t seem rude or just plain invasive. 

Also, for those couples that like to hide in the C Hallways or somewhere dark where you are not often interrupted, I’m going to say thank you now for at least trying to find some semblance of privacy. But please understand it’s not that secret. With over 5,000 students at CHS, chances are, someone is going to come across you two. I was walking through the C Hallways during freshman year to get to my Chinese class when I saw two students in the alcoves created by the doors who were extremely, intimately close and the guy was trying to reassure who I originally thought was his girlfriend, until she said, “What if she finds out?” While I didn’t know them personally it wasn’t hard to make the intelligent leap and guess they were cheating. If you’re worried about getting caught cheating, public displays of affection are not for you. Also, don’t cheat. The ridiculousness of the situation has forced me to remember it for three years.

Speaking of the past, back in the old days when my mother was a high school student, her school had a rule that students must be no less than 6 inches apart (They also had a smoking lounge and a gun range. Obviously things have changed for the better). Violation of this rule resulted in an after school detention for 1 hour. I am no more a supporter of this than I am with some students’ utter lack of understanding of social propriety. Restrictions often have a more negative affect than intended. Besides, if they tried that rule at our school, they would have to reconstruct the halls to be 20 feet wider.

Couples need to show some amount of self-control for the benefit of all those around them. Because, believe it or not, it is possible to be affectionate without making other people want to barf. It should be said that there are some times that may call for a sweet moment between two people. Hugs, hand holding and short kisses are all acceptable, but if at all possible, please do it out of the eyes of those who might not desire to be privy to your love. If you wouldn’t do it in front of your grandparents, you shouldn’t do it in front of other people.

The views in this column do not necessarily reflect the views of the HiLite staff. Reach Annika Wolff at [email protected].