Hounds challenge belief: high school team cannot be a dynasty

By Parker Myers

Only in America can a sports team be grouped with some of the greatest political forces of all time. Where else are great athletic organizations synonymous with royal legacies and imperial families?

The word “dynasty,” usually reserved for emperors and their families, has taken on a new meaning when referring to sports.

You can’t find a better example of a dynasty than the 57 to 69 Boston Celtics, winning 11 titles in those 13 years. The 46 to 62 New York Yankees and the 74 to 79 Pittsburgh Steelers also fall into that category. Nevertheless, you never hear the word “dynasty” thrown around when talking about high school athletics. Why is that?

Pretty simple: high school “dynasties” have to contend with a four-year turnaround, maximum. While coaches in professional sports are given years upon years to build a franchise core, the average high school coach gets four years (except for super senior cases) to build his dynasty. After that, you start clean.

Every year, a high school coach has to contend with losing his most veteran, and often most talented, players as they head off to college. Every year is a rebuilding year, so to speak. It takes one heck of a coach, then, to maintain consistency throughout the years.

Not many coaches can say that they have one of the top winning percentages in the state of Indiana. Head Coach Moriarity is one of them, and has three State Championship rings to show for it.
It takes a special kind of coach to lead a high school football team. This coach must be constantly innovative, always up-to-date and never satisified until a championship is won.

And Carmel is closing in on another State Finals.At first glance, it seems as if Carmel is not playing to its full potential this post-season. The Greyhounds scraped by a 4-5 Westfield team, and almost got beat by a tough team in the Fishers Tigers.
In the game against Hamilton Southeastern, Carmel finally started to hit  stride, even though the team only scored 17 points. The team then traveled to Fort Wayne Snider, where they once again closed out a game in the final minutes.

Even so, you’ve got to remember that Carmel is undefeated this post-season. In every game, no matter what the expectations, no matter the stats, the Greyhounds have come away with a victory.

I find it hard to label any high school team a dynasty. The Carmel Greyhounds, under Coach Mo Moriarity, have certainly challenged this belief.