Presenting…A ‘Spectacular’ Tradition

Annual holiday show has raving fans coming back for more year after year

PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT: (From left) Senior Matthew Hook practices the dance steps for the Ambassadors number in “Holiday Spectacular,” the freshman choir finishes up rehearsal, while the Ambassador women perfect their choreography. KAITLYN LAMPE/PHOTO

By Erum Rizvi
<[email protected]

It’s that time of year again when all of the choirs here attend essential rehearsals to practice choreography, perfect songs and select costumes all in order to give this school a performance known as “Holiday Spectacular.” It is the most attended and talked about performances at this school and each year it brings together a large number of students to get into a festive spirit.

“Holiday Spectacular” is a great and exciting start to the holiday season,” Lamonte Kuskye, choral director and set designer of the musical said.

Junior Elizabeth Russell, who has attended previous years’ shows, said she plans to attend two “Holiday Spectacular” shows this year because of the catchy songs and costumes.

“In last year’s show I loved all the decorations that really made it feel like the holidays. I also liked the cute little costumes and creative dances that each of the choirs made up,” she said.

According to Kuskye, alongside attending rehearsals of the performance, choir members are picking out costumes for the play as well. Kuskye said.

“I think the audience will really enjoy seeing all the different colors and variety in the costume designs this year,” Kuskye said.

Aside from the dazzling costumes, students such as Russell are looking forward to the new holiday songs in the performance.

“I have heard they are singing some really ‘out-there’ songs and I want to see what that’s all about,” Russell said.

PUTTING ON A SHOW: Lamonte Kuskye plays the piano while rehearsing with the freshman choir for the big day. KAITLYN LAMPE/PHOTO

According to Michelle Steele, Choralettes choir member and junior, the new song format is a small change from years before because of the large amount of choir students.

“Last year the entire second act was every choir except freshman singing a set of seven or eight songs and that was it for the show.  Act I was the dancing part and then Act 2 was just standing and singing. This year it’s more like the first act with dancing but the second act is like different groups of different choirs singing on stage,” Steele said.

Russell said she is most excited to see the show because of all of the festive aspects which will get her into a holiday spirit. “In general, I think that ‘Holiday Spectacular’ is a really cool thing to go and see because it’s something that all the choirs have been practicing for a very long time, so you know it will be good!” Russell said.

web.ent.showtimes

web.ent.funfacts