All in-state universities to accept any AP scores of 3 or above after 2010

By Michelle Yun

Starting in 2011, a new legislation states that any AP credit starting from 2011 must be transferred to in-state colleges or universities if the students earn a score of 3 or higher.

Under this new law, an additional 10,000 AP exam scores of 3 are expected with students receiving approximately 44,000 college credit hours in Indiana.

Indiana public institutions may require students to earn a score higher than 3 for credit if the course is part of the student’s major. However, the student will still receive elective credit toward their overall degree requirements to graduate from college.

Maureen Borto, who teaches the English portion for AP Block, says the legislation may open up a lot of possibilities for students in many facets both academically and financially.

“I think it’s a great piece of legislation in the sense that it’s really rewarding,” Borto said. “A 3 is a really good score and it’s really hard to achieve. So, I think it’s great colleges are rewarding students, and it might get students to challenge themselves.”

Because the new law makes a passing score easier to attain, and allows for more tests to be accepted, many students are expected to react well to the financially beneficial legislation.

Senior Courtney Kim, who took AP English Literature and earned a score of 3 or above, notes how the new legislation will allow her to save money in college.

Kim said, “Next year, I plan to go in-state for college. So, I think it’s really beneficial for AP credits to transfer because it means I can pay less for classes, take less classes, or even get ahead.”

However, some students, like sophomore Stella Jeong, have differing opinions about the legislation. Jeong took AP World History last year and is currently enrolled in AP European History.

She said she hopes to go to college out-of-state but is still looking into various options in-state. Though she said she believes the legislation will benefit students staying in-state for college, it still leaves the students wanting to go out-of-state without the same benefits.

“I think (the legislation) is unfair for the people who really do want to go out-of-state,” Jeong said. “For me, it will be okay because I’m probably going to stay in Indiana, but it will pose to be an inconvenience for some Carmel students.”