Underclassmen should find more opportunities to get involved in this school.

By David Zheng

When I was a freshman entering high school, I saw my transition as just another phase in my life. I wasn’t particularly fazed by this school’s 4000+ kids, or that classes were going to be more plentiful and difficult. It didn’t bother me there were so many more opportunities to make or break relationships with friends or more chances to get in trouble with teachers and other adults. I simply viewed high school as another time to fit in with the crowd and do my own thing. Instead of living life to its fullest, I just wanted to slack off and barely get by.

At freshman orientation, the first thing my GKOMs told me was I should get involved with Carmel. They told me I was going to regret it if I didn’t find ways to be an integral part of the school, and instead just let the current guide me through my life. As a freshman, even my friends were encouraging me to join a club or participate in an extracurricular activity, but I didn’t listen to them.

Now, three years later, I regret it.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but the truth is being involved in is the best thing someone can do as a freshman. I basically didn’t participate in anything my freshman year, so I had to scramble as a sophomore to play catch up and delve into activities and find my passion. With a little bit of dedication and some good time management, one will find school to not be too time consuming, and will realize there’s nothing to do because he/she made the mistake of not getting involved.

And in my opinion, it’s one of the worst feelings ever when all your friends are doing things they care about and you made the mistake of not finding that special something for yourself. And not only does getting involved keep you entertained, but it allows you to make new friends and develop lasting relationships with them.

For example, joining the HiLite staff was one of the best decisions of my life, because I met so many wonderful people who I may not have met otherwise.

Freshmen (and maybe sophomores): don’t make the same mistake I did. Join a club that sounds interesting to you. Here’s my shameless plug to encourage you all to join Breakdancing Club. Or even start your own club because you’re interested in something and need an outlet for developing that interest into a passion. The teachers don’t bite, and I’m sure you will be able to find a sponsor.

I didn’t believe my GKOMs as a freshman, but now I see the credence in their advice. As cliché as this may sound, you only go through high school once. If I had stepped up and become more involved, I don’t know how else my high school experience could be any more memorable or enjoyable.