Student takes skills from class, creates short film for contest

By Reid Conner
<[email protected]>

CAMERA READY: Senior Ellis Noto tests out his video camera. He has created films during his free time since the sixth grade. KAITLYN LAMPE / PHOTO

Senior Ellis Noto is one of the many students here taking IB Film. However, unlike the average student, Noto has been creating films outside the classroom since sixth grade and plans on entering his recent film, “A Choice,” into the eXceL Awards Scholarship Program to help pay for film school.

“After high school, I’m not 100 percent sure (what I want to do). I’m trying to get into film school at Full Sail University,” Noto said.

Noto is not the only IB Film student trying to gain a little recognition for his work. According to IB Film teacher Jim Peterson, seniors Kyle McBane and Sarah Donaldson are two other students who plan to enter work into film contests. Although the average student doesn’t plan on doing this kind of work with film, Peterson said the class can teach students invaluable skills for the future.

Peterson said taking IB Film opens up many opportunities for students wanting to pursue film after high school. “The class makes them more aware of film schools and contests. They will be more comfortable and confident with the idea of film,” he said.

Students learn a wide variety of skills in IB Film. According to Peterson, the goal of IB Film is to teach students techniques in film production, appreciation of film, history of film and theory of film production. “It is an introduction to the theory and techniques. Students learn the basics of editing and film production,” Peterson said.

Noto is proof of these claims. “(IB Film) has been good for connecting with people who share my passion for film. I’ve been working on a film with some people that we’re going to enter in the Hartland Film Festival,” he said.

Noto’s film, titled “A Choice,” is about an 18-year-old kid who goes to a party, gets drunk and ends up having to go pick up his little brother to take home. On the way home, he gets in an accident, killing his brother in the process. Throughout the short film, he contemplates suicide but eventually gets involved with the Big Brother Big Sister program, which gives him something to live for.

Although Noto did not write the story, he directed it and played a large role in the editing. “(Juniors) Peter Loomis and Myles McCoy approached me with the idea and asked me to direct it,” he said.

“(The film) has been finished for a while now. We submitted it to the Project eXceL Contest,” Noto said. According to him, the first round of judging takes place today, the next round is next Friday and the state finalists will be announced the Friday after. The state winners will be announced on March 16.

Noto said he received a lot of help from locals in making the film. “We used school police and actual firefighters from the Carmel Fire Department for the police and firefighters in the film.” School officers Gene Stilts and Shane VanNatter played the two police officers, while the main character was played by junior Matt Young.

For students like Noto, IB Film provides invaluable opportunities to get a glimpse into the world of film. “Mr. Peterson has speakers and guests come in who have had experience in the film industry. It’s a good opportunity to learn from people who have prior experience,” Noto said. It has also presented him with the opportunities to enter his films into multiple contests.

Entering the film into the eXceL contest and submitting it to Full Sail University in Florida are not the only plans Noto has. “I’m going to try to encourage the family and consumer science department to show it in classes since it has to do with drunk driving and making good choices,” he said.

Noto is already looking ahead to his next work. “We’re in the pre-production for my next film, which will be used as my final project for IB Film,” he said. According to Noto, they are still in the planning process and no definite details have emerged.

Both Noto and Peterson said being successful in film doesn’t mean being in Hollywood. Noto said, “With today’s industry, you can get recognized pretty much anywhere.”