Students should plan for a meaningful summer, take measures to not waste available opportunities

It’s finally the time of year when summer vacation is just days away. All we have to do is survive some finals before beginning a much-needed break from school.

While everybody has a different idea of the ideal and perfect summer, all students should take the time to relax and have fun before classes and schoolwork resumes in the fall.

Some argue that the two months off from school are meant for working, studying or working as an intern to boost their resume, but in a few years none of that will matter. Yes, it might look impressive to a couple colleges, but time spent doing what you enjoy will be more valuable in the long run. All those other options are of course beneficial, but unless they also make you happy, find something else to occupy your free time.

Many students worry so much about how they present themselves on paper that they forget about their true passions and interests. No one wants to spend two months memorizing every SAT vocabulary word or working somewhere he or she hates. Take the time now to plan a summer you won’t want to forget.

Some people are lucky enough to find internships in their future field of study or work opportunities they love. These are the ones who will enjoy their summer alongside those who choose to take a step back from the stress of normal life for a little while.

They won’t be wasting their vacation cursing their morning alarms or complaining about the future. Their days will be meaningful, even if they just spend an entire week by the pool with a few friends.

Everyone must take advantage of the possibilities summer has to offer without throwing away the hours with a lame excuse.

Students deserve to rest. They deserve to set aside homework and assignments and exams for a while and instead simply enjoy themselves.

Summer is the easiest way to do this. For some, working can provide that joy; for others, the future moment of a perfect test result encourages their studying.

Not everyone can have fun doing nothing because many become bored without goals or responsibilities.

The important thing is to do something you love most days over the summer while you have time because you probably will not have that time once the new hectic school year begins.