Swimmers Of CHS: Swimmers recall why they started swimming, why they still do it

Junior Sayjel Parikshak

Avery Thorpe
STRENGTHENING THE BODY: Swimmer and junior Sayjel Parikshak holds a side plank during her workout before getting into the pool. Parikshak swims the 100 meter breaststroke for the CHS women’s swim team.

“When I was 2 years old, my parents signed me up to learn swimming as a survival skill. I ended up loving the water and I started taking swim lessons at a local swim club. When I was 6, the management of the club asked if they could put me on the summer swim team because I showed quite a bit of natural talent and ability. I joined the summer swim team and loved competing, and when I was 8, my mom finally signed me up for the Carmel Swim Club. From there on out, I swam competitively and joined the swim team at school.”

Noah Lichtenberg

Uday Lomada
A MUCH NEEDED REST:
Swimmer and senior Noah Lichtenberg gasps for air after a hard set of laps during practice. Lichtenberg swims the mile freestyle for non-high school and 500-meter freestyle for CHS.

“I swam at my neighborhood swim team when I was 5. For a couple years I swam for fun, but when I turned 8 I started swimming competitively. At that time though, I did a lot of other sports like basketball and others. At first I stuck with as many sports as I could, but since I had to choose, I chose swimming because even though it wasn’t my best sport, I saw lots of improvement then and I really enjoyed swimming.”

Senior Patrick Cavanaugh

Avery Thorpe
WARMING UP:
Swimmer and senior Patrick Cavanaugh stretches his pectorals to warm up before a swim practice. Cavanaugh said he enjoys the brotherhood that the team has with each other since the team does almost everything together. Cavanaugh swims the 100 meter breaststroke and 50 meter freestyle for the varsity team.

“I started swimming in a local summer league and lessons program at Carmel High School through their aquatics program. My parents, at first, signed me up just so that I could learn how to swim and not die drowning, but as I got more lessons and swam more, I got better at it. Since I entered at an early stage, I also played football alongside swimming, but after ending up following the swim program’s progression, I decided to focus on swimming when I realized I was better at it than football and the risk of injury of football was too high for me. The first year I could do the Carmel Swim Club, which is competitive swimming, I joined. It wasn’t serious back then, but I started getting faster and faster the swim club encouraged me to stick with it so I could get better and get to higher levels, ending me up at the school team.”

Assistant Coach Elizabeth Flaherty

Uday Lomada
VOCAL DIRECTION:
Assistant coach Elizabeth Flaherty coaches some swimmers and reviews what the team did during their swim practice. Despite starting in Belgium, Flaherty continued to swim once she came to Carmel because of how much she enjoyed swimming in college as well.

“When I lived in Belgium, the only sport at my school was swimming. When I moved to Carmel when I was 11, I started swimming for the swim club and swam throughout high school. After I graduated, I wasn’t really sure of what I was going to do with my life. Head coach Chris Plumb offered me a job as an assistant coach, and since I had a background in swimming and on the school team, I decided to take the job.”

Senior Lauren Busha

Uday Lomada
PRACTICING FOR THE RACE:
Lauren Busha, senior and varsity women’s swimmer, swims breaststroke during a team practice. Busha swims the 100-meter breaststroke for the CHS women’s swimming team.

“I started swimming in seventh grade because my best friends got into the sport. I tried it out, and ended up loving it. I’ve been swimming for about six years now and it has honestly been the best decision I have made. It took lots of dedication, hard work, and patience to get to the level I am at now, but the nine practices a week are worth being a part of the Carmel Swim Team.”

0
About the Contributors
Sarah Kim, Sports Reporter

Hi, I’m Sarah Kim! This is my first year on the Hilite Staff and I will be Sports Reporter. Outside of Hilite, I run cross country and track for the...

Avery Thorpe, Web Content Editor

Hi, my name is Avery Thorpe and I’m an Online Editor for the Hilite. This is my second year on staff and last year my primary role was being a reporter....

Uday Lomada, Sports Editor

Hello, I'm Uday Lomada, a Sports Editor for HiLite alongside Kelly Truax. In the past, I have filled the roles of Entertainment Reporter and Copy Editor. I...