Student government members form referendum club

In order to ensure the student body is informed about the upcoming May 4 referendum concerning the school system’s budget deficits, key members representing senior student government have started a new club for the referendum.

Student body president Steven Brisley said the main goal of the club is to “spread information and awareness about the issues,” and to make sure they are active in the participation.

Though he and the rest of the seniors who registered to vote will not be affected by the outcome of the election, he said he hopes the club will help other voters be better informed. Student government will begin by registering voters during SRT, and the club will later on present key points of the referendum that will be beneficial to students.

According to Principal John Williams, the most important effect of the referendum’s potential passage is the number of teachers the school employs. On May 1, he said, the administration must inform three staff members that they have been laid off, but if the referendum passes, this will no longer be the case. In terms of population growth, next year the school needs those three, along with five to six additional teachers, for a total of eight to nine “extra” teachers. If the referendum does not pass, eight to nine current teachers must take on an additional teaching period.

Williams said his real concern lies with the possible budget cuts next year. Currently, a $3.6 million cut has been approved, but he said that number is likely to rise at this time next year. He said, if at the current level the school is already eight to nine teachers short, “How many teachers do you have to lose (next year)?” By Michelle Hu <[email protected]>