HiLite named NSPA Pacemaker finalist, several students earn individual recognition

The 2010-11 Carmel High School HiLite newsmagazine is a finalist in the National Scholastic Press Association’s (NSPA) annual Pacemaker competition. Additionally, four current and former HiLite students earned national recognition for their work on the publication.

The HiLite is one of 15 finalists in the newsmagazine category, and the only newsmagazine in Indiana to earn recognition. The winners of the Pacemaker, often referred to as the Pulitzer Prize of scholastic journalism, will be announced at the NSPA’s national convention in Minneapolis, MN in November. This is the first time since 1999-2000 that the HiLite has been named a Pacemaker finalist.

In addition to the Pacemaker, the NSPA also recognizes superior achievement in individual categories using its “of the Year” distinction. This year, four HiLite students earned recognition in five separate categories. Finalists in the Design of the Year category were Arjuna Capulong ’11 in the Newsmagazine Cover category and Rebecca Xu ’11 in the Illustration category. Junior Victor Xu is a finalist in Diversity subdivision of the Story of the Year category. Also, Daniel Li ’11 earned Honorable Mention recognition in the two Cartooning of the Year subdivisions: Editorial Cartoon and Comic Strip/Panel. Finalists will learn their individual rankings at the Minneapolis convention.

To see the list of Pacemaker finalists, click here.
To see the list of Story of the Year finalists, click here.
To see the list of Design of the Year finalists, click here.
To see the list of Cartooning of the Year finalists, click here.

Sara Rogers ’11 (Duke University) was last year’s editor in chief. Managing editors were Steven Chen ‘ 11 (Dartmouth College), Mackenzie Madison ‘ 11 (Purdue University), Rebecca Xu ’11 (Dartmouth College) and David Zheng ‘ 11 (Princeton University). Jim Streisel advises the HiLite.