Gay Straight Alliance hosts ‘Ally Week’ starting Oct. 17

Gay Straight Alliance hosts Ally Week starting Oct. 17
Cecilia Robbins, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) member and junior, organizes candy that will be used in Ally Week. This week, sponsored by GSA, is dedicated to spreading awarness about the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community. Each piece of candy has a message about the LGBT community attached. ARUNI RANAWEERA /PHOTO

The Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) will host an “Ally Week” on the week of Oct. 17. This week- long event will serve to raise awareness as well as give straight allies the chance to show their support for friends or family members who may identify as lesbian, gay, bi-sexual or transgender (LGBT).

“I don’t think the students in Carmel High School really think about LGBT people as more than a word you say,” said senior Reid Libby, president of the GSA. “I want them to really get to think about the people. To think about that they actually know these people, that they are coming into contact with these people. These people are their friends, their neighbors, their family.”

Ally Week has been in the works since last year. The week’s events will include the posting of locker signs for GSA members, spirit days and a movie day on Oct. 18.

“We are starting small,” said sponsor Jeremy Horner. “We’ve a got a few key things that we want to try this year and we’ve got some ideas that we want to try to expand, if possible.”

The club also plans to post “diversity signs” in every class room.

“It’s to make people stop and think that these are issues, even here,” said Horner. “Other students can show their support, even though they may not be able to come to GSA or not feel comfortable coming. [It’s] to get the word out that we do have a GSA here, so if students do want to come, then they are welcome to do so.”