The Inside Scoop on WHJE Radio

WHJE is Carmel High School’s radio run by Carmel High’s students. The class is open for sophomores, juniors, and seniors. The radio started in 1963 by Earl Lemme and has carried on since. Brian Spilbeler now runs the radio station and teaches the kids the skill set they need, such as becoming better communicators. The radio class encourages kids to become professionals in the real world after high school.

“Our radio plays alternative music, stuff other radios don’t really play. More underground music. We also have student shows, anything the students choose,” Mr. Spilbeler said. “For anyone looking into being a part of the radio, you have to take radio lab class. You don’t need any prior knowledge, just an interest in radio. This is where you’ll develop a skill set with radio lab. The staff is more of a commitment; you’ll have to come in before school or after school.”

WHJE is always live, all day, every day. But people are only actually in the booth usually between 6 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

“I sometimes listen to the radio, like a couple times a month. But I like to listen to it because it keeps me in touch with what’s going at school,” freshman Liz Johns, said via email.