Chess Club determines teams for state tournament

Sophomore Joe Philleo plays chess with junior Kevin Mi. Both club members will be representing CHS at the team state tournament on March 22. ASTER SAMUEL / PHOTO

Chess Club members have decided which students will be competing on the teams for the team state chess tournament, which will take place on March 22. The teams were determined through a tournament within the club.

According the Sameer Manchanda, Chess Club president and senior, the club will send two teams to the state tournament. The first team consists of Manchanda, junior Kevin Mi, sophomore Joe Philleo and freshman Sam Philleo. The second team, which Manchanda said is still subject to change, consists of seniors Andrew Kluttz, Blake Patteson, Shizen Moh, Sauith Malpeddi and David Lee.

Manchanda also said the club has still not ordered club T-shirts due to the weather. He said the club would order T-shirts as soon as the weather is more “T-shirt appropriate.” Additional information regarding club T-shirts can be found on the Chess Club Facebook page.

Club sponsor Margaret Winans said the club is aiming for its third first place state trophy in a row. Manchanda said the club members plan to achieve this goal by “simply practicing at Chess Club,” with an emphasis of using a clock in order for the competitors to grow accustomed to playing under pressure. Manchanda also said the club will review notation, which is a way of recording games that is required in tournaments.

Overall, the club is looking forward to the tournament.

“We are going for our third championship in a row, so we’re going in with raging confidence,” Kluttz said. “We know that we’re the best there.”