Key Club to announce hours committee members, volunteer for Ghosts and Goblins Run

Key Club will notify members who were chosen to be on the hours committee in the next couple weeks. They will work alongside class board members to catalog club members’ hours.

At the Oct. 2 Key Club meeting, club member and freshman Bethlehem Daniel gave her speech in the club's class board election. Class board members are required to bring at least two project ideas every month to do at meetings. MELISSA YAP / PHOTO
At the Oct. 2 Key Club meeting, club member and freshman Bethlehem Daniel gave her speech in the club’s class board election. Class board members are required to bring at least two project ideas every month to the meetings. MELISSA YAP / PHOTO

Sponsor Katie Kelly said, “We’re starting to get volunteer hours turned in now, so we’re going to need the hours committee’s help soon.”

According to Kelly, Key Club is collecting shoes to donate to needy children in Guatemala. Students can bring shoes to the Key Club office, Room E232, or Room H206. Key Club is also collecting pop tabs, which students can turn in at the club office.

Nathan Fei, Key Club member and sophomore, said he plans to bring in shoes and other material donations to earn hours.

“I think donating to the community, not only in time commitment, but also in material commitment, is very important. Even though it is an arguably easier way to give back to the community, it should have the same merit as time commitment because in order to generate the revenue for donations of food and other things, a portion of someone’s paycheck is used. That paycheck was fueled by time commitment,” he said.

Fei also signed up to help with registration for the Ghosts and Goblins Run. Club members who volunteered to help with registration for the event should be at the fieldhouse before 4:30 p.m. on Oct. 24 or 7 a.m. on Oct. 25, depending on which day they signed up to volunteer.

Key Club will hold its next meeting on Oct. 16.