Science department to send students to SEFI competition March 7

Science department chairperson Jennifer Marlow browses the Science Education Foundation of Indiana (SEFI) website. Marlow said students who are signed up for the SEFI regional science fair will present their research at Marion University on March 7.

Students signed up to compete in the Science Education Foundation of Indiana (SEFI) regional science fair will present their research on March 7 at Marion University, according to science department chairperson Jennifer Marlow. Currently there are five students registered to attend: Seniors Adit Chandra and Josh Segaran as a team and juniors Vikas Maturi, Sreya Vemuri and Kimaya Raje as individuals. Marlow said registration closes soon, on Feb. 25, and any students still interested in registering should see her.

Junior Kimaya Raje will present her research at the fair. If she does well, she said, she could move on to the next level of competition.

“Basically, there are different levels. So there’s a regional level and then I think a state level and there’s a national level. I’m enrolled for the regional level,” Raje said.

She also said she had heard about the competition from a few of her friends who had competed before, and, based on that, decided to apply this year.

The next department meeting will be on March 10. Also, according to Marlow, students will take in the upcoming Chemistry Olympiad exam on March 28 at Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School. To register, students can talk to AP Chemistry teachers Virginia Kundrat, Sandy Weisner and Elizabeth Shafer. Registration closes on Feb. 27.

“We generally send a large delegation of students to take the Chemistry Olympiad exam. Those students have the opportunity to compete for some minor monetary awards, but also have a chance to move on for the United States National Chemistry Olympiad team,” Marlow said. “They take all of the scores from across the country and decide on a cutoff every year. So, it’s a very very small percentage of students that actually move on to the next round and an even smaller percentage that move on to the round after that.”