Carmel Clay Public Library to host Origami for the Oceans

Young adult librarian Jamie Beckman works at the young adult center desk. Beckman and others involved at the young adult center help coordinate events such as Origami for the Oceans.

On Feb. 27 the Carmel Clay Public Library will host the Origami for the Oceans program. At the event, students will be making sea animals and creatures out of origami in order to help out the Students Rebuild 2019 Ocean Challenge. Every origami made and sent to Students Rebuild will result in them donating $2 to youth-focused ocean conservation project and restoration in coastal communities. Young adult librarian Jamie Beckman said she believes the event to be a great way for students to make an impact.

“Origami for the oceans is a great way for (CHS) students to earn volunteer hours while helping the environment,” she said via email.

Abby Carmichael, teen library council president and senior, said she agrees.

“I think this event is a perfect example of connecting teens who are passionate about a cause with other who can help them support it,” she said. By Adam Spensley