Chinese classes to celebrate Chinese New Year

The Chinese classes will celebrate the Chinese New Year in the couple of weeks after Chinese New Year Day on Feb. 3.

According to Chinese teacher Tungfen Lee, Chinese New Year is the most important festival of the year, and the Chinese celebrate it according to the Chinese lunar calendar. This year, Chinese New Year Day is on Feb. 3, but the atmosphere of the New Year and its festivals will last for 15 days. Each year corresponds to a different animal of the 12-year cycle of the Chinese zodiac. 2011 is the year of the rabbit.

“In order for students to have a better understanding of the perspective,” Lee said via email, “students in the Chinese class will be assigned questions about Chinese New Year customs and products.” Students will do research from websites to find the answers, and they will present their information with visual presentations in class.

The classes will also learn a popular Chinese New Year song called “Gong Xi Ge” and make a lucky red envelope called a “Hong Bao” as a part of the many celebrations for Chinese New Year.

Rachel Krieger, Chinese I student and freshman, said her favorite part about Chinese New Year festivals and celebrations is the food. She also said, “I have a lot of Chinese friends as well.” By Kim Qian