K-8 Mentoring students form stronger bonds with kids

Since fall break, students in the K-8 Mentoring class have been getting to know their students more and more, according to mentor and senior Maddy Schlichter.

Lately, they have been joining each other for outings done outside of school time.

“You have to have four outings each nine weeks and we’re just starting up new outings,” Schlichter said.

However, the main focus remains on working with the students at their schools.

“(This is) like an additional bonus that we do,” Schlichter said. “We know (the kids) pretty well by now because we’ve been going for nine weeks but you’re just kind of talking, seeing what’s going on in their lives.”

According to K-8 mentoring teacher Robin Pletcher, the kids are becoming more attached to their mentors.

“(The kids are) waiting for them to come as opposed to the first couple weeks where if they’re in a classroom or if they’re at lunch they’re kind of still doing their own thing. Now they’re looking for you and they’re ready to flag you down,” Pletcher said.

The progress that has been made over the year continues to grow and is quite visible, according to Schlichter.

“As you work with (the kids), you can see them break out of their shell more if they’re shy and stuff like that,” she said. “That’s cool.”