LifeLines to plan Pre-Prom Awareness Week, give $500 scholarship

Theja Bhamidipati and Eric Cui, LifeLines members and juniors, man the LifeLines booth on April 12 at Frosh Rock, an introduction of various extracurricular opportunities to future freshmen. Bhamidipati and Cui distributed laniards and informed students on the goals of the club. VICTOR XU/PHOTO

LifeLines is scheduled to meet on the morning of April 18. There is a work session for club officers scheduled for after school on the same day. Members will sign up for responsibilities during Pre-Prom Awareness Week, which will take place the week of April 30. As part of the campaign, LifeLines plans to host a guest speaker for seniors in SRT on May 1. Members will also make announcements regularly and hold giveaways in the cafeterias.

According to LifeLines sponsor Rebekah Overbey, the purpose of the campaign is to promote wise decision-making at prom.

“It’s just to encourage students to make good choices, wear seatbelts, not drinking and driving, not taking drugs,” Overbey said. “Prom tends to be a time when students just want to party and have fun. Yes, it is a time to have a good time, but you should do it in a safe and smart way.”

LifeLines members will also continue discussing Buckle Down contracts at the upcoming meeting. At the end of the school year, the club plans to make a $500 scholarship available through raffle. Seniors who have signed Buckle Down contracts will be eligible to enter.

“Buckle Down has been successful this year, even though we aren’t doing the car raffle,” Eric Cui, LifeLines vice president and junior, said. “We’re going to start promoting for Buckle Down pretty soon and having more students sign contracts.”