Carmel Dads Club opens spring sports registration

Registration for Carmel Dads Club spring sport has begun and ends Feb. 15, according to Jack Beery, Carmel Dads Club president. Students who are interested in signing up can either register on the Dads Club website or fill out a form at the Dads Club office, which is located at Badger Park, 5459 E. Main St. To participate, students must pay an annual fee of $50 and varying league fee.

Beery said there are eight sports offered for the spring season, but soccer is the only sport open to high school students. In all, according to Beery, about 5,000 athletes participate in spring sports every year, 2,500 of which play soccer. He said soccer is the most popular sport offered at the Dads Club.

“Soccer’s been our biggest enrollment sport for several years,” Beery said. “I think soccer is so popular because kids can play it twice a year, spring and fall. It’s also a sport that provides a great cardiovascular workout.”

Sophomore Sharmistha Chakrabarti has played soccer at the Dads Club since she was 4 years old and said she encourages other students to participate as well.

“I joined because I thought it would be a good way to stay active,” Chakrabarti said. “It’s a fun way for students to get involved in a sport and meet lots of new people.”

Beery also said he encourages more high school students to join the Dads Club’s soccer program.

“It’s a great sport to go out and socialize with your friends, have a little friendly competition and get a healthy workout,” Beery said.