Philosophy Club to meet May 1

In the main cafeteria, Jackie Hu, Philosophy Club member and sophomore, talks with friends while eating lunch. Hu said, “People are busy with different things. But for each person that doesn’t go (to the meeting), that’s another perspective we don’t hear.”

Philosophy Club will meet after school on May 1 in Room A331. Although little productive discussion actually occurred during the meeting before spring break, club members should prepare to extend previous discussions over philosophical history.  The club will provide cookies as snacks for club members.

At the last meeting before break on April 3, the club discussed philosophical history and continued discussions over modern philosophy. The club plans to continue discussing history chronologically.

The low number of people at the previous meeting was not an anomaly. While it is possible for discussion to occur between even just two members of the club, this does not lead to intended results. Jackie Hu, club member and sophomore, has experienced this at previous meetings.

“We start talking about different philosophers for a few minutes, but then the room goes quiet since we can’t think of anything else to say. That’s usually when we lose focus,” Hu said.

Philosophy Club sponsor Peter Beck said that he has already realized this problem and hopes the club can fix it in the future.

Beck said, “The same people repeating the same things doesn’t lead to as much discussion.”

Hu said she thinks that the club would improve with more students, but does not expect that will happen soon.

Hu said, “The benefits of productive discussion aren’t immediate, but it does help you understand things from a different perspective. But the end of the (school) year is usually busy, and most people don’t have time to discuss because they have to study for tests.”