Media Center prepares for Kid’s Corner

Media aides and sophomores Johanne Vincent and Hannah Stigter look through books in the Holocaust gallery walk. The media center hosted a Gatsby gallery walk as well. JENNY ZHAO/PHOTO

The media center is currently preparing for Kid’s Corner to come on Halloween, according to media department chairperson Terri Ramos.

“We have Kid’s Corner coming in on Halloween, so just your typical library programming for children in a public library, that’s what we do. We have story time, where they hear some stories, they do a craft, we

have some activities for them to improve their gross motor skills, they have a little snack, and then we give them a little bit of trick-or-treat candy and send them on their way,” Ramos said.

The media center recently finished hosting gallery walks in classrooms 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Ramos said, “We had the Holocaust and Gatsby gallery walks, which many of the English classrooms use. I really enjoy the gallery walks. We have hundreds of kids come in through those classrooms, and all the kids seem to walk away with some unique, new information they didn’t have before of that time period. It makes them ready to read that text and understand it better.”

Media aide and sophomore Hannah Stigter said she thinks the gallery walks are a good way to learn about the time period of a book that students are studying in English.

“They’re more of a new way to absorb the information that you need for the book you’re reading instead of actually having to sit in a classroom and be bored out of your mind,” she said.