Media center prepares for Teen Read Week Oct. 14-22

The media center has scheduled Teen Read Week for Oct. 14 – 22. During that week, the media center will display the 10 young adult books the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA) nominates as the best books for teenage readers.

This is a yearly event the media center celebrates. This year, the theme is “read beyond reality.” Media manager Francie Sands said, “We will be having a ‘find the monkey’ contest to celebrate. A stuffed monkey dressed in an astronaut suit will be placed in different locations of the media center every period throughout the week and the person who finds it first gets a prize.”

Nationally, Teen Read Week is Oct. 19 – 23. However, the media center will celebrate it from Oct. 14 – 22 since fall break takes place on Oct. 22 and 23.

Sands said the purpose of Teen Read Week is to promote reading among high school students. She said, “It allows teenagers to see popular young adult books they may want to read.”

According to Megan Fettner, media center student aide and junior, the media center supplies resources outside of books. “We have computer resources as well as equipment such as the laminator,” she said.

Bonnie Grimble, media center department chairperson, said the goal of the media center is to promote the effective use of research. She said, “We want to help CHS students effectively access and use information.” By Caroline Zhang <[email protected]>