Deal between Carmel, PNC Bank finalized; construction of apartments expected to occur

Recently, PNC Bank, located on the northeastcorner of Rangeline Road and Main Street, has agreed to sell its land to Carmel after two years of negotiating. The land sold for 2.5 million dollars and is expected to turn into apartments and condos. According to Henry Mestetsky, executive director of the Carmel Redevelopment Commission (CRC), this addition will improve aspects of downtown Carmel.

“If we work to develop the building we see on Main Street, we will see a bunch of people moving in, and we will see a community,” Mestetsky said. “That’s the kind of stuff that people will want to visit when they are outside. This will also be important as it will open up a lot of business for downtown Carmel.”

Not only will the city and businesses see improvements, but the students who work in downtown Carmel could experience benefits of their own. These could come in the form of more money or job opportunities.

The whole building is expected to be finished in the next couple of years and take up 1.8 acres of land.

To get local opinions on this deal, the HiLite talked to several local business owners and students employed in downtown businesses.

6
About the Writers
Josie Cruzan, News Reporter

Hey, my name is Josie Cruzan, I'm a News Reporter and this is my first year on staff! When I'm not doing journalistic things, I enjoy discussing and participating...

Lillian He, Beats Editor

Hello, my name is Lillian He. This is my first year as a part of the Hilite staff and I am a News Reporter as well as a Beats Editor. In addition to Hilite,...

Pranav Jothirajah, News Reporter

Hi, my name is Pranav Jothirajah, and I am one of the reporters for the News section of HiLite. This is my first year on staff. On this page, you can see...

Sarah Kim, Sports Reporter

Hi, I’m Sarah Kim! This is my first year on the Hilite Staff and I will be Sports Reporter. Outside of Hilite, I run cross country and track for the...

Maddie Kosc, Feature Photographer

Maddie Kosc is a sophomore and first year staff member working as a Feature Photographer. Besides HiLite, Maddie is involved in Unified Track, Key Club,...

Bowen Zhou, Sports Photographer

Hey, I’m Bowen, and though I’m a newbie, I’ll be showing up here and then, and I hope to help progress Hilite just like everyone else before me....