• THE CLASS OF 2024 SENIOR ISSUE IS OUT NOW: PICK UP A PRINT COPY NOW OUTSIDE C127!

Seniors prepare for graduation, end of school year

As seniors have now decided on their future plans, they now look to the graduation ceremony itself. According to senior Cheffy Thomas, graduation is May 31 at the Pepsi Coliseum. Thomas is looking forward to the graduation ceremony.

“It is the beginning of a new chapter in my life,” he said. “Graduation represents an achievement in my life.”

Chemistry teacher Elizabeth Shafer says that graduation itself is much more important than just the ceremony.

“Graduation is important to set yourself up for a successful future. Whatever path one may choose to pursue as an adult (be it higher education, entering the work force, joining the military etc.), it is proven that graduates earn more that students who drop out of high school. It is important to finish your education so that you can be the best-prepared citizen you can be. This is particularly pertinent in the United States where citizen and voter participation are vital the success of our government.”

Shafer also understands graduation to be a rite of passage.

“Graduation marks a rite of passage for seniors. For many, as they pass across the stage and receive their diploma they pass from childhood to adulthood. Graduation also marks the culmination of all of their educational experiences thus far. It marks a point in time where students’ lives will change, drastically in many cases. Students go to college (either far away or close to home), they go into the work force, they join the military and they move away from their childhood homes. It can be a very exciting, confusing, and stressful time all at once. It is sure that it will be a day they remember for the rest of their lives.” By Ryan Zukerman <[email protected]>