Freshman Class to participate in Homecoming 5K run/walk for charity

On Sept. 18, the Freshman Class will participate in the 7th Annual CHS Homecoming 5K Walk/Run. Each participant is required to turn in a registration form to the Activities Office with $15 to donate to a pre-determined local charity. Registration will begin at 9 a.m. at Entrance 1 at the front of the school. The race will begin at 10 a.m.

According to treasurer David Liang, the Freshman Class will raise money for Promising Futures of Central Indiana, a local organization in Noblesville that functions as both a school and a daycare center for teenage parents.

“It is essentially a house for teenage parents who are pursuing an education,” Liang said. “They are also taught parenting skills, and the kids have a place to stay.”

Jennifer Williams, freshman class sponsor, said that class officers are responsible for promoting the event to the rest of the class.

She said, “Students come in, and they don’t have any idea what Homecoming is about or the activities that they do. They’ve had no experience. They don’t know what a penny war is, and they have no idea how to get out for playhouse building. Officers will form committees to start advertising for the 5K.”

Williams said the class officers will focus on promoting class spirit throughout the year and especially during Homecoming week.

She said, “Many of the students have no clue how big Homecoming is, but they will find out soon.” By Laura Peng <[email protected]>