Family and Consumer Sciences Department recruiting students

The family and consumer sciences department is preparing for scheduling for next year’s courses.  The department is giving tours to the third floor of the Freshman Center during SRT on Nov. 11.  The other floors have already been given the tours.

The tours are showing students the six main parts of the department, including interpersonal and human development, fashion and textiles, child development and parenting, interior design, culinary arts, and career development.  “I feel like telling them background about the classes will help them figure out what classes they want to sign up for, “ said Ivana Hull, family and consumer sciences department tour guide and senior.

Also, sophomores and juniors who want to take the education professions class next year can pick up application forms in the counseling office now.  In the education profession class, students are interns for teachers in elementary and middle school classrooms and can receive Ivy Tech credits from the class.  “Elective classes are different because we have to recruit students to take our classes, unlike English and science classes, which you are required to take,” said department chairperson Brittany Wiseman.  By Claudia Huang