Carmel Clay School Board to continue redistricting for 2011-2012 school year

The Carmel Clay School Board is currently in the middle of redistricting. According to president Tricia Hackett, the school board is in Phase 3 of the redistricting plan, during which Superintendent Jeff Swensson reviews the submitted proposal and asks for public input. Hackett said the decision for redistricting came in response to the growth of the west side and decline of enrollment in some of the middle and eastern parts of Carmel.

Junior Kevin Zhang, who lives on the west side of Carmel, said he has noticed the increasing numbers of students, especially in the lower grade levels.

“There are definitely a lot more people in Creekside and the elementary schools than just a few years ago,” Zhang said. “Redistricting should balance out the whole community, and maybe the students will have a better, less crowded learning environment.”

Phases 1 and 2 of redistricting, which consisted of educating citizens of the process and asking advice from the public, have been completed already. Phase 3 will finish when Swensson presents the proposal and the school board accepts a final plan in the upcoming board meetings. Afterwards, Hackett said Phase 4, implementation of the plan, will begin

“Transition orientations, possible grandfathering letters, PTO volunteer organizing, staffing and bus route development are but a few tasks which must be addressed fully and do take a fair amount of time,” Hackett said.

All redistricting changes will take effect in the 2011-2012 school year. By Rebecca Xu <[email protected]>

View Comments (2)
$20
$500

• E

Elena GilliamJan 11, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Our house 2 min away from Carmel Clay Middle school. It’s best for Brookshire PKWY go to this school. My daughter dreams about it. And she will be really abset if she will go to the other school.

Reply
  • M

M. CarmichaelJan 11, 2011 at 3:05 am

The redistricting efforts, as extensive as they have been, do not meet the stated objectives which the district communicated in their August 2010 letter to the district. In Redistricting 101 presentations to the community, Mr. Steve Dillon (Student Services Director) communicated the district had considered and RULED OUT the possible use of portable classrooms to alleviate the overcrowding concerns at West Clay and College Wood because of the strain these additional students would put on common areas (Cafeteria, Media Center) and specials programs. At the Jan 10 redistricting meeting, however, Dr. Swensson recommended to the school board that they consider using portable classrooms, NOT to alleviate overcrowding at West Clay and CollegeWood, but to alleviate future overcrowding concerns at Carmel Elementary and Smoky Row. If the district ruled out the use of portable classrooms at Carmel Elementary and Smoky Row as a means for justifying total redistricting next year, why now is Dr Swensson asking the Board to consider this practice in the center part of our community?

Reply