Key Club receives towels, pop tabs, new members at Feb. 3 meeting

At the Feb. 3 meeting in the freshman cafeteria, Key Club members who joined this semester must turn in their codes of conduct and $10 dues. Club members can also bring towels or pop tabs to the meeting and earn group hours.

According to Morgan Perry, club president and senior, no major Key Club events are scheduled for the next few weeks. However, in the upcoming months, club members can volunteer at local elementary schools’ spring carnivals and at a few Monon Center events, she said.

In addition, according to club co-sponsor Katie Gray, participating in Dance Marathon on Feb. 26 will earn club members six hours of group service.

According to Perry, club members can earn group hours by donating any extra towels they have around the house at the Feb. 3 meeting. The towels do not have to be new, she said, because they will go to the Humane Society, which will donate them to local animal shelters.

Gray said that each towel will be worth a half hour of service. Club members can also collect pop tabs in sandwich bags and donate them for group hours. Unlike the towel drive, she said, the pop-tab collection for the Ronald McDonald House is ongoing. The Ronald McDonald House will recycle the metal and use the money it earns to provide a “home-away-from-home for families (with hospitalized children)”, according to the organization’s website.

According to Gray, May 12 is the final deadline to submit hours for Key Club. All club members need to complete their hours on time, she said, especially those wishing to earn points from Key Club towards receiving the Distinguished Graduate award as seniors.

“(Students) should be trying to get as many group hours as possible, starting now,” Gray said. “The semester will be over before they know it.” By Thalib Razi