Students for Education preparing for annual online fundraiser

Students for Education, a club here dedicated to helping local children in the Indianapolis area, is preparing for its online fundraiser to help the children at the Dayspring Center in downtown Indianapolis.

“We’re planning for our annual fundraiser where we try to raise money for various homeless shelters in the area using the internet,” Ivy Yan, club president and senior, said. “We’re still planning it, so there we don’t have too many details yet. We haven’t done too much so far this semester, so this will be our first big activity as a group, and we’re really looking forward to it.”

According to Yan, the club has continued to aid the Dayspring Center even though the school administration no longer allows it to tutor the children there.

“We still encourage students to tutor on their own time, but the recent weather has meant that fewer volunteers have been able to help the kids at Dayspring,” Yan said. “There have been some new kids at the shelter, and those of us who have volunteered recently have tried to encourage other members to meet and interact with them as well.”

“I leave most of the day-to-day functions of the club to the students,” sponsor Sherri Pankratz said.

“We have high hopes for this fundraiser,” Yan said. “We’ve done a lot of good work for the kids last semester, and we want to keep it up” By Henry Zhu <[email protected]>