Students for Education to start second semester tutoring schedule

TIPS FOR A TUTOR: Aghilah Nadaraj, Students for Education vice president and senior, gestures as she explains the club’s work to senior Shreeya Raman. Nadaraj said newer members like Raman have been eager to participate in both the fundraising and tutoring activities. HENRY ZHU / PHOTO

The literacy-centered club Students for Education plans to start its tutoring program for the 2012 year soon. Aghilah Nadaraj, vice president and senior, said the group is figuring out the best times for members to volunteer.

“Now that everybody’s back from winter break, we’re trying to put together a volunteering schedule for our members to follow,” Nadaraj said. “We had a really nice weekly plan last semester, so we’re hoping to work out something really similar to that.”

According to sponsor Sherri Pankratz, the club’s meetings and activities are almost entirely run by the officers.

“I leave most of the day-to-day functions of the club to the students,” Pankratz said.

As for Nadaraj, she said she believes the club did a good job handling both the tutoring and the fundraising activities earlier this year.

“We changed things around a little and did a things differently this year, especially with fundraising,” Nadaraj said. ”A lot of members helped us gift wrap at Barnes & Noble in December, and we want to encourage them to help the kids at the Coburn Place (a center for victims of domestic violence) in any way they can.”