Chemistry Club to participate in ACS exams March 3

Members of the Chemistry Club will attend the American Chemical Society (ACS) exams on March 3, from 9 to 11:30 a.m. at Butler University, in Building 37 on the campus map, according to club sponsor Virginia Kundrat.

The exam will comprise of two sections, a 60 question multiple choice portion that students will have 110 minutes to complete and a 15 to 30 minute open-response section.

“They’re not easy questions but they are doable questions,” Kundrat said.

The members have studied using ACS exams from past years and answering questions compiled by co-leaders senior Ray Qian and junior Melinda Song. Most of them hope to get a score of 40 out of 60, according to freshman Josh Segaran who is taking the test for the first time.

“I think it will be a good test to take,” Segaran said.

While Kundrat is unable to attend the exams like she did last year, she said she is confidant in her students.

“They always do very well,” Kundrat said.

Chemistry Club members will not meet March 5 to take a break after the exams, according to Kundrat. When the club resumes, members plan on developing more demonstrations like the one they did earlier in the year for an elementary school. They hope to hold a demonstration at this school before spring break.