Newton recognized as Indiana Mr. Football

By Andrew Browning
<[email protected]>

On Jan. 21, senior and quarterback Morgan Newton was formally awarded the Indianapolis Star Mr. Football Award, an accolade that puts him among the ranks of Indiana high school football greats and former winnners such as Rex Grossman, Darren Evans, Jason Werner and Desmond Tardy. A FINAL ACCOMPLISHMENT: Senior and quarterback Morgan Newton accepts the Indianapolis Star's Mr. Football Award. Newton led the Hounds to a State runner-up finish this season. NICK JOHNSON / PHOTOThe award brought an impressive close to Newton’s high school football career, which included being named Gatorade Indiana Football Player of the Year and First Team All-State this season.

Kristen Leigh Porter, assistant sports editor of the Indianapolis Star, was on hand to present Morgan with his most recent honor. Porter said she first met Newton during his sophomore season, noting that even then “he sounded like a 30-year-old veteran.”

Newton’s speech was brief, as he said he “didn’t necessarily want all the attention,” and saying that the award, “didn’t go to just myself.” He thanked his coaches and fellow players, specifically his offensive line. Lastly he expressed his gratitude for his family, making a special note to point out John Newton, his father and assistant principal at CHS, who was in attendance.

Newton was wearing a Kentucky shirt with his number, 12, on the front, and he did confirm his commitment to play for the university next season. After accepting his final accolade as a high school quarterback, before leaving the podium he requested that those in attendance make sure to tune in and watch his games as a Wildcat in the coming seasons.

View Comments (1)
$20
$500