Muslim Student Association to operate Homecoming booth, to meet on Sept. 20

Members of the Muslim Student Association plan to operate a henna tattoo booth at Homecoming along with members of the Indian Student Alliance. Members will meet for their first official club meeting on Sept. 20 in club sponsor Dora Mulcahy’s room, Room A232. Later this semester, members will host a club dinner and possibly a small-scale fundraiser to support Burmese refugees and provide them with Eid holiday gifts.

Fariha Hossain, club president and senior, said, “For the coming year, we want to have a more active club. We were thinking about mini-lectures at each meeting and some sort of get-together event each nine weeks. Plus, we will have our annual fundraiser second semester to help out other Muslims across the globe.”

Fariha Hossain, club president and senior, discusses future events for the Muslim Student Association with Samreen Uzzama, club vice president and senior, at the call-out meeting. Members of the club met for their call-out meeting on Sept. 6 and discussed ideas for the upcoming year. ALEX YU/PHOTO

According to Hossain, the inactivity of the club and complaints last year account for the planned changes this year.

Hossain said she has persisted with the club for her entire high school career because she wants all the other Muslims in the school to know that there is a community that will always there for each other.

“Islamophobia was making headlines back in Ramadan, but I’ve seen it around for my entire life. I’ve heard people say hurtful things about Muslims to my face, and in those times, the easiest person to go to first is a Muslim . . . there’s an unspoken connection I have with Muslims,” Hossain said.

Club sponsor Dora Mulcahy said, “I know the kids had a hard time finding a sponsor, so I decided to help them out. They’re a nice group and I don’t have to do much.”