Creative Writing Club edits fall literary magazine, kicks off contest

Alexis Beck, president and senior, comes to Creative Writing Club to work on editing the fall literary magazine. This is the first year the club has done a literary magazine with works exclusively by club members . NIDA KHAN / PHOTO

The Creative Writing Club is starting the editing process on the club’s literary magazine and is now taking submissions for the annual Creative Writing Contest, according to Jerry Brickley, Creative Writing Club sponsor and English teacher.

“The big focus is going to be on getting the literary magazine ready to go but they are also still sharing their work and discussing plot,” Brickley said.

The fall literary magazine, with the works of only the club members, is expected to come out around middle to late November. The submission deadline is Oct. 31, according to Alexis Beck, president and senior. The fall magazine will also contain artwork by the members of the club.

“There is some pretty good stuff in there (magazine). You can always find something that you like to read,” Beck said.

Submissions for the Creative Writing Contest, which is open to all CHS students, are being accepted until Nov. 9. Students can submit by going to moodle, clicking on the “Carmel High School” link, finding the Creative Writing Contest site and submitting their piece into either the “Short Story,” “Poetry” or “Essay” folder. Students are allowed to submit one short story, one essay and up to two poems. Other requirements for the contest are posted in all writing labs, Media Center and the English office. The winners of the contest will be announced in December, before winter break. All the entries to the contest will be published in another literary magazine called Reflections, which will come out in February.