Orchestra prepares for 4/26 competition at Pike High School

Yi Cui, Philharmonic Orchestra cello player and sophomore, practices his cello during SRT. The Philharmonic and Symphony Orchestras are the two orchestras participating in the ISSMA Regionals at Pike High School on April 24. MATTHEW DEL BUSTO / PHOTO

Beats

According to Soo Han, performing arts co-department chairperson and director for orchestras, orchestra competition season is in full swing and the Regional competition begins this weekend. The Philharmonic and Symphony Orchestras will go to the competition. The Philharmonic Orchestra plays at 8 p.m. and Symphony Orchestra plays at 9:30 p.m at Pike High School.

He said that after they compete in the Indiana State School Music Association (ISSMA) Regional, if they are one of the high schools chosen, they will move on to State on May 4 at Pike High School. He said they will find out results Sunday.

Yi Cui, Philharmonic Orchestra cello player and sophomore, said that at the competition they are scored by a panel of three judges. He said that, like golf, a lower score is better. According to Cui, the best possible score is a nine. Cui predicted that his orchestra would score an 11 or an 11.5. He said this would be right on the line to receive a gold distinction.

Han named the three pieces the Symphony Orchestra will play at the competition. They were Peter Tchaikovsky’s “Symphony No. 4 Finale,” Carl Nielsen’s “African Dance” and Alexander Borodin’s “Nochturne.”

As for his pieces, Cui said, “Not really one (piece is my) favorite, they are all pretty awesome.”

Han said, “I think the students have done so well in the past, (and there is) a lot of pressure to do well. Regardless of the result, proud of how hard they have worked this semester. I hope they go and perform to the best of their ability.”

0